Friday, November 16, 2007

Cold Snap and a Bowl of Soup!

Last week we had a nice little cold spell, I love it when the cool weather starts moving in.

There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a frigid day! I like soup! Tomato soup, potato soup, mushroom soup, chicken noodle soup, tortilla soup, well you get the picture. And here is THE most famous can of soup I know! Andy Warhol's iconic Campbell's soup print! Love it!

And so last week as I opened up my yummy can of mushroom soup for a delicious little lunch, I thought, "Love this can, what can "I" do with it?!"

Then I remembered an old Campbell's soup ad I'd seen! Eureka!

That's it!

Meet "Tom"! Get it! Tom-ato!? Riot!! I dunno maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's funny?!

I know, I know I used a mushroom soup can but I didn't like the name "Mush" or "Shroom"!

He has porcelain parts and I weighted the can to give it some substance.

The neck ruff is antique lace from the early 1900's. His tricorner hat is a snipet of old grey felt wool with the tiniest speckled feather I found while out walking.

Love these old ads, seems like life must have been so simple then.

I like to set up funny little vignettes incorporating items that work with my art piece, it is part of the whole process for me, and then photograph it, I know when I'm very old I will have these pictures and it will bring me pleasure, remembering the whole thing. I guess I really am easily entertained, but I do enjoy it!

I want to share with you a recipe that has been in my family for generations.
Heavenly Potato Soup
6 medium potatos
1 pint heavy cream
1 small white onion
3 green onions
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
4 shredded carrots
3 tblsp butter
1 small container sour cream
3 cups water
salt and pepper
Bake potatoes 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees. Set aside to cool. In a large pot, saute onions and carrots in butter. Scoop out potatoes into pot, add water, cream, sour cream, milk and celery soup. Boil till all is heated, then with fork, mash the lumps of potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. And just before serving, add the cheddar till it melts. Cooking time 1 1/2 hours.

Enjoy!