Sunday, April 20, 2008

Earthly Delights and Needful Things


Shhh, come closer, let me tell you a secret...I have an old shoe box filled with priceless treasures! Trinkets more valuable than the hope diamond, well I guess I should say "to me"! I have collected these items since I was four years old! I think I have mentioned before that my interests are many and varied, it is more than evident as I pull each item from the box to photograph it.

The baubles I deem treasures are quite eclectic, lets say uncommon objects I whole heartedly cherish. The worlds most exclusive private collection of unquestionably, undeniably worthless while simultaneously priceless relics... You can rest assured Indiana Jones has spent no noble efforts in search of these!

First off, there are these fabulous perfectly round, swirled glass balls, magical really, and hard won trophies at that, after class out behind the school! ( don't ask)!

I wound up with quite a marvelous, enviable marble collection! Luck be a Lady! Hee, Hee!

Then there is a little plastic bear, Pooh I believe! And he was shaped just right to fit on the rim of a cereal bowl! And to my astonishment, he was completely free, all you had to do was dig to the bottom of the box!

I have several two tone plastic whistles embossed with a star, they used to be strung on a lanyard I made, but it's long gone now. Actually, I might have traded it off for a couple of rocks and a shell! Which seemed like a square deal to me as I recall!

Fossils have always fascinated me, and I remember like it was yesterday the day I dug these up in an old creek bed, sun shinning on my head, not a cloud in the sky, it was heaven!

And rocks, its an odd thing but I can spend hours sifting through earth and sand... to find just the right one!

A most precious mollusk's door discovered on a long ago trip to the sea,

and lovely amber and purple crystal gems, souvenirs from a daring spelunking expedition(6th grade class field trip).

A fairly recent acquisition, baby blues, (probably don't need too much explanation),

A few pairs of dice, one set made of ivory and one set made of clear red lucite and I think they might just be weighted, because they always come up snake eyes! I acquired these when I was five, again,don't ask!

A truly cherished paper cigar box casually discarded by my Grandpapa, the cardboards sweet scent has long parted but is still a happy and vivid memory!

And once again, no explanation necessary... but lots of fun had! Oh, Yeah!

A dainty, teeny, tiny single blue robins egg, found tossed from it's nest after a rain storm...

Oh, and these, I do love these! A bunch of Creepy Crawlies my cousin and I cooked up in his very own personal bug making machine (non toxic of course)! A few terrificly flattened pennies ( as a result of a not so close by railroad track, that I was never, ever supposed to go near)! Once again, don't ask!

A group of old cast metal keys... what doors they open and secrets they locked, who knows!

Ah, Glow in the Dark Duncan Yoyo! I mean really, could there be anything more remarkable! Well, there was, but the glow in the dark Play Doh I had got lost, or stuck, ok, I won't even say it, but don't ask! I remember there being remnants of it in our station wagon, on the bunk beds, under my desk at school... and those evil gumball machines took every available penny I could get my hands on! I simply could not resist!

A metal Victorian wax seal, I really don't have a clue where it came from but I hang onto it any way, just in case I remember one of these days! You know how it goes!

A few of my favorites, see the little blue robot in the middle! And a silver plastic cowboy ring I used to wear every day, Heaven only knows why?!

And Kiddles! Liddle Kiddles! Babe Biddle, Liddle Diddle, Pretty Priddle, Greta Griddle, Soapy Siddle and the list goes on! I know, you probably think I have lost my ever lovin mind, but thats what they were called!

Remember these! Oh, how I loved them!

Who does Polly Pocket think she IS anyway! Well, truth be told I do have a couple of Polly Pockets, but don't tell the Kiddles it's just not the same anyway!

Liddle Kiddle rings, Liddle Kiddle lockets, even Liddle Kiddle brooches and Kiddle Kola and perfume bottles too!

A single solitary pink glass slipper... no bigger than my thumb nail!
And can you guess what these might be?! Only my favorite toy I ever had, excluding the three other pairs,two that shattered, and one set accidentally hung up in a tree! I was always lumpy and bumpy and bruised but man, was it fun!
The one, the only, Knockers!

These treasures are more valuable to me than all the money in the world and can instantly swell my heart with wonderful beloved memories... I think it's very telling, I mean the kinds of things we choose to keep and treasure, although I'm not quite sure what mine say about me?!