Sunday, September 16, 2007

Unsolved Mystery


Several years ago I purchased this wonderfully whimsical lavender tea pot, (at quite a bargain I might add). I'm frugal if I'm anything! Psssst, but don't ask my husband because somehow he has a different idea! He foolishly thinks if you buy alot of little things at cheap prices its the same as buying one big thing at a large price! Silly I know but a Man's logic, go figure. Any who back to the subject, although it has a minor chip on the top hat and was missing its lid, it is simply one of my very favorite things. Now for the mystery, which by the way, I would like your assistance in solving. I don't have a clue where it was made, or about how long ago, or by what company and despite all my best efforts I haven't been able to turn up any real answers!?

It is about 12 inches tall and beautifully modeled, very sharp details, is a scrumptious lavender colored porcelain with the look and feel of Wedgwood or jasper ware.

It has a soft sage green wash and 24kt gold accents. On the bottom of the pot the # 3867 is pressed directly into the porcelain and painted in red is the # 46. If any one knows anything about this piece I would love to find out whatever I can. I mean, what if there is a whole tea set out there somewhere that goes with it!?! I should get started looking as soon as possible, no? For me, a large part of the intrigue of an antique is in it's origins and it's history and I would sure like to finally solve this mystery!
Lately I've been really into brooches and have begun my own small collection. At a recent estate sale I purchased a box of old fabrics and trims. Among all the goods was a small piece of silver fur which I thought would make a most charming brooch.

I want to begin a series of Mini Tutorials and from time to time give instructions on creating fun Quickie Projects.
Fur Ball Bon Bon Brooch

Materials:
9" long piece of fur, faux or otherwise (about 2" wide)
Selection of millinery flowers
Upholstery needle and thread
2" x 2" piece of felt
Fabric glue
Pin backing
Instructions:
Curl fur piece into a tight ball and stitch together so it holds firmly.
Cut felt piece into a circle to fit back of brooch.
Stitch pin backing to felt circle then adhere it to back of brooch.
Use fabric glue to arrange a selection of flowers to center of ball.
And Voila! Pin to your favorite pair of comfy jeans and a thrifting we will go!
One last thing, just wanted to mention check out my friend Cathy's blog. She always has great projects and instructions!
Happy Arts and Crafting girls!