Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Diamonds on the soles of her Shoes


I HEART Shoes! Old ones, New ones, Tall ones, Flat ones. Baby shoes and tap shoes, ballet shoes, dolls shoes, pumps, sandals, slippers, house shoes, fried shrimp, shrimp kabob, heh, heh. There are even very famous shoes like the Ruby Slippers, Cinderella's glass shoes and the Wicked Witch of the West's shoes all curled up under a house! I read somewhere once that the average American woman owns at least 30 pairs of shoes. That means I'm waayye past my limit! I found this wire shoe at a thrift store and thought it a perfect base to decorate. I've always liked that line from the Paul Simon song, "She has diamonds on the soles of her Shoes" don't really know what it means but it's a Feast for my imagination. So with some old glass lamp parts, millinery feathers and flowers, a torn robins egg blue cocktail dress and a bit of thread and glue, all assembled together to create my version of the magic slipper. I have a very large collection of my embellished shoes and will post them from time to time. Meanwhile you can check out this book which I participated in, A Closet Full of Shoes (see sidebar), it is a very unique kind of craft book, giving many fantastic ideas in which to embellish what else but SHOES!